Residents of North-East Hastings can look forward to another varied programme of activities in the coming months following the awarding of over £14,000 in grants by the resident-led partnership that runs Big Local North-East Hastings.
Each year £20,000 is allocated for bids to provide activities for local residents. In this year’s first round, 14 bids were successful totalling nearly £14,000. Later in the year, bids will be invited for the remaining £6,000.
- The opportunity for youngsters to develop their skills in the Premier League Kicks project run by Albion in the Community at Hastings Academy
- An outing to Chessington World of Adventure for 50 residents of Down Farm organised by their Residents’ Association
- The opportunity to learn about the permaculture methods of growing produce, gathering fruit and vegetables planted and cultivated by the children of Sandown School, preparing them, preparing a fire and then cooking the dishes and eating them in a woodland setting organised by the Sandown Outdoors CIC
- Enabling parents and toddlers to learn in a creative, magical and fun way in Broomgrove Magic Play run by Radiator Arts
- Training in woodland management and leadership for volunteers in Speckled Wood run by The Conservation Volunteers
- Opportunity to develop DIY skills with the Hastings Furniture Service using their Workshop on Wheels.
There are also other fun activities involving theatre and sport as well as research into the support that local unemployed residents need to find jobs.
Chair of the Big Local’s Resident-Led Partnership, Richard Street said: “Once again we are delighted to put the money we’ve been allocated to very good use by funding this enormously varied range of activities for our residents who live in some of the most deprived communities in the country and often miss out on the sort of activities many take for granted. We may not change lives but we can certainly help make them that bit brighter.”
If you live in the area, why not get involved? They are always looking for more volunteers. For information visit our website http://www.biglocalnortheasthastings.org.uk/ or our Facebook page or contact Jan Papworth, Big Local Community Development Worker, 01424 444010 email@example.com
Here’s a full list of awards that have been made..